Sunday, May 21, 2006

Finally a decision!

Hello all!

I just wanted to let you all know I've finally made a decision about grad school, and it seems I am still going to be a Lobo after all. It was definitely one of the toughest decisions I have ever made, and I changed my mind about 27 billion times. I even wrote Buffalo and told them I'm coming. And for all of you that I've told that Buffalo was it, just kidding! So now, tomorrow I have to call UB and apologize for the false alarm. In the end, the program, the opportunities for funding, the price, and my new advisor at UNM won out. And I don't think I even need to mention the weather! :)

So that's that. I've already registered for classes and they sound interesting. This fall I will be taking Theory of Ethnology I (required), Women and Oral Tradition, and Life History (taught by my advisor). Unfortunately, no Portuguese. I had planned on taking the Theory, Portuguese, and one other class, but it turns out that the Port. classes are only offered as intensives at 6 credit hours. Nine hours is full time for a grad, and although I could try 12, I don't think it's a good idea for my first ever semester of grad school. So it looks like the language might have to wait until the summer semester, although I'm bummed I can't do it while it's still fresh on my mind.

Stefan and I are still trying to figure out the whole Gurupa thing as well. My professors here in Brazil have given me permission to finish my classes a bit early, so in theory we have the time (but just barely) to visit the Amazon. However, we're not quite sure if the money is as sure a bet. The move to Albuquerque is going to cost us a pretty penny, and we're just not sure if we can do it. Also, if we opt out of Gurupa, we'll have about two or two and a half weeks at home to visit friends and family before the move. If we go, it'll be more like six days. But on the other hand, we have no idea when we'll have the chance to visit Gurupa again. And I think my friend Mara in Belem might just kill me :)

Decisions decisions!

5 Comments:

At 5/23/2006 11:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be very happy there.
Go 'Topes!

(Thus showing I only know one thing about Albuquerque, aside from taking a left there.)

 
At 5/24/2006 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes...congratulations....sounds like a big step. I wish you all the luck in the world!!!

Will Stephan still be on vacation there?

G-Man

 
At 5/24/2006 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think the decision you made makes sense and i woulndt look back.. it feels right.. as far as garupa.. for selfish reasons and less stress for you.. not visitng the amazon makes sense.. however.. this may be stefans only time.. if he doesnt care, let it go.. if it is important to him go for it.. mom

 
At 5/24/2006 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes ,,, who was it that made a left in alberquerque.... road runner or bugs bunny,, cant remember????? anyone who knows please fill me in..

 
At 5/26/2006 3:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugs Bunny, I think. Congrats and good luck. NM will be awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home